Friday, October 20, 2017

Sweet Salvage ~ French Market ~ Part I



It was time once again to make the Pilgrimage downtown to the SWEET SALVAGE Event, where this Month's Theme would be one of the most popular ones of the entire year, "The French Market".   I only had one Grandchild to drop off at School since the other one is on Fall Break.  So I got a much earlier start than usual and arrived so early as to be first in line and snag me a bench seat and ideal parking!  *Whoop Whoop*




In all the years I've been attending, since the very beginning actually, I've never been first in line, so I was pretty jazzed.  But wait, it gets even better, the second person in line was a delightful Lady and we had a nice long chat while waiting... so when she Won Early Entry, she Invited me as her Guest to get in 15 minutes before the crowds!  *Booyah!!!*  This meant better coverage of the Event and the ability to snag First Treasures, like one of these fab Ex Votos!




And the coup de gras, this Amazing Antique Lamp with Tea dyed Seam Binding deconstructed Lampshade dangling with Antique French Religious Medals... be still my beating Heart!!!   Yes, it blew my Mind and my budget, I'll just work harder to recoup my splurge, because I was not leaving this baby behind or I would have had eternal remorse!  *LOL*




And you all know what that eternal non-buyer remorse feels like for years upon years when you let something killer just slip thru your fingers, it's excruciating.  I can always earn some extra cash and sell off a few things to fund an extravagant OOAK purchase, so I hesitated only briefly and didn't try real hard to talk myself out of it.  *Smiles*  Yeah, I tried to walk away but barely got around the corner and when another Lady began looking at it, well, that sealed the Deal.  I had to nudge her out of the way and get it!  *Winks*




No, I didn't throw myself prostrate to the ground in front of it to ensure ownership, but I came mighty close!  *Winks*   It was difficult for me to even get a good pix of it in the Shop, because while I'm distracted behind the Eye of the lens, someone might have grabbed it, so I got crappy pixs of it as it was originally seen in all it's Glory!  *LOL*




Totally unexpected Bonus of said Lamp, it has a three-way Light Function, just the top Edison bulb lit, just the three lower Candlelight Edison bulbs lit, or the combination of both lit!   This makes for Ideal ambient lighting and so it now sits between our two Recliners in the Livingroom.  The Man prefers it over 'The Ugly Lamp', as the Family came to call my Antique Lotus Blossom Lamp, so that has been banished to another room of the house.  *Smiles*




My final purchase was this Fab Antique Brooch for a mere twelve bucks, it will be added to a future Carpet Bag Creation as ornamentation.   I had to hit the registers within 40 minutes of arriving since I had to go back to another City to pick The Young Prince up from School, so I was one of the first in line at checkout as well.   Don't worry, I fully intended to come back later after dropping him off at Home, since you can't possibly do the Event right in just over half an hour and I hate to feel rushed.




So, Yes, I came back slightly later in the Afternoon with this one in tow, wearing her Eiffel Tower Themed Shirt, which she felt very French in.  *LMAO*  She was fearful of attending that Morning in the thick of the crowds, as shopping frenzies scare her after a bad experience at one long ago.  Plus she's not one to stand or sit in lines... just not that committed yet.  *Winks*   




I assured her by Afternoon it would have thinned out some, she didn't think the Mid-Afternoon crowd was that thinned out.   So she never would have survived the Morning Grand Opening experience of the Event! *LOL*   This frame shows how thrilled she wasn't to be Photographed at all this day, so Gramma stopped the Pathological picture taking with her in frame, she wasn't having it... and who wants to Deal with Tween Angst?!  *Smiles*




She even took Issue with being in this frame where her reflection was captured in the Mirror of an Antique Armoire!  She claims she looks like she stepped into another dimension and was being held hostage inside the furniture!    My 'Alice' thru the Looking Glass shot...  *Smiles*   Believe me, Shopping with her in tow now, as a Tween, is rather like falling down some Rabbit Hole into a crazy dimension where nothing makes sense and she could go Red Queen on ya!!!




Yeah, it can kinda go like this when we're hanging out together, but this day she wasn't intent on lobbing anyone's heads off and I managed not to lose mine.  In fact, it was a Fun day out with her once we were on her shopping spree seeking out wardrobe and new hi-top tennis shoes... at The Mall... Gak!!!  *Smiles*  Okay, in all fairness she took one for the Team by enduring my incessant Socializing with my Friends at the Event, so I owed her one at The Mall so we'd be Square and Even.




She just wasn't as infatuated with everything Francophile, she would have preferred to have attended the Seasonal Events for Halloween last Month or the upcoming one for Christmas next Month.   In fact, it's getting harder to have them want to go with me to do what I want to do... you know how Teens and Tweens are... they think it's all about them all of the time... silly Children!  *Winks*




You don't even Decorate French she reminded me, as if I didn't already know that... but it's not as if I have to re-decorate the whole house in a particular Event's Theme to Enjoy it you know!  *Smiles*   I sure did like this European Grain Sack Linen upholstered Armchair though.




And my Favorite piece of Furniture that I couldn't possibly own while having Kiddos, a Cat and a Man in the house... this Antique Peach Velvet Victorian Sofa!  *Swoonfest!*   Get rid of them and buy the Couch was a suggestion by one of the Friends... and we laughed... if only... Bwahahahahahaha!!!   Just kidding, but this would be the type of seating I would mos 'def have IF I did not have Kids, Pets and a Man at Home... right?  *Winks*




Some peeps might say they have such a Glorious Couch at Home even tho' they have Kids, Pets and a Man... but they don't have MY Kiddos, MY Pet or MY Man in their Home... big difference!   This would never survive them and then I'd feel like I completely participated in the destruction of a Gorgeous Antique piece of Divine Furniture and I couldn't Live with myself, you know?  *Le Sigh*  Everything about this piece was Sublime... including that original Crushed Velvet in an Ideal Hue!!!   And it was way Cheaper than what I just shelled out for a Contemporary Grey Leather Sectional that will hold up under my Family's use.




Okay, so the Sectional is Lovely, super Comfortable enough I fall asleep on it all the time and it has a Recliner at one end of it, so I am not complaining per se.  Just sayin' that I'm still drawn to Antique Furniture as seating that I know just wouldn't hold up and so I just don't buy any now.   But things like carved Wood Pedestals are mighty Tempting... this tower of them caught my Eye.  But, I only made my trio of purchases that I'd snagged that Morning.




Besides, Thankfully I already have a nice Hoard of Antique French Enamel Body Pitchers and pounds of Dried Lavender at Home already.   I also have a Hoard of Mortars and Pestles and I don't even collect them per se, just seem to come across a lot of really nice ones and can't resist if the price is right.  Do you ever do that with certain things my Friends?




I was Glad that with getting in Early I was able to take more time Photographing Vignettes because the quality of my pixs was far better for this Event's coverage to Share with you.   Once the eager Shoppers descend it's hard not to get complete Strangers in frame and I try to avoid that since I'm Sharing on Social Media and respect the privacy of people I don't know and don't have permission to have their Image to use online.




I noticed that Architectural Salvage was flying out the doors and being loaded up, there were some Killer pieces, including many Old Doors with Sublime details and/or Patina.   You know how Obsessed I am about Old Doors, luckily I have not dragged any Home in a very long time and have in fact Sold Off quite a few from my Private Stash in recent years.  *Gasp!  Yeah, it's True!*  Not that I don't still have an impressive Hoard, but it's a fraction of what I used to own.




I was pleased to see that the Boutique now has a Children's Clothing Line, though it skeeeeerd me when Princess T began rifling thru it.  That Kid and Wardrobe can bust a budget like nobody's business!   Thankfully she already had her Heart set on some inexpensive Jeggings at 'Target' and some fairly spendy Converse Hi-Tops from The Mall... along with fake Nails and some Bangle Bracelets, which was expensive enough without adding to her must-haves Wardrobe Cache for the day's outing!  *Winks*




Tho' not in the French Genre I did totally dig this Carpet Bag Purse which was luxurious Brown soft Leather on the back.   But I couldn't justify another Purse Purchase since I already own more than any sane Woman should have.  I like to call it a 'Collection'... that's not what the Family like to call it!  *LOL*




This half a Santos was very reasonably priced so it was difficult to resist, but I did anyway...  really I'm at saturation point for Display pieces for the Home so I'm being incredibly selective now about what I might add and what then I'd have to get rid of in my 5-to-1 Rule.




And since only 3 items came Home with me this time, I only need to get rid of 15 items.  Which seems like a lot, but Believe me, I can easily come up with 15 items out the door and into the Showroom and Booth as Fresh Inventory.  I'm still plowing thru the Hoarded Garage Storage one box or crate at a time and Hopefully by the end of Winter I will have finalized that Project?




Then I can go back and better assess what should be Kept and what should Go that is still inside the house?   Culling of possessions will be ongoing and so every once in a while I can justify a new purchase of something worthy of sending several previously owned Treasures out the door and into the Antique Mall.




And I do Hope you'll come back with us for the second installment of the Event?  We've only just skimmed the surface my Friends of the Treasures that await you.  And if you're in the Metro Phoenix area, the Event will run thru Sunday Afternoon so you still have time!   They re-stock daily with incredible Inventory Sourced from across the Globe!




So get your Francophile on and get on down there to Score yourself some European Vibe... and be duly Inspired by the Valley's version of The French Market...

*******

Blessings and Love from the Arizona Desert... Dawn... The Bohemian

2 comments:

  1. I wish I lived nearby so I could go. It looks like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have loved being there shopping. I'm in the mood to do some vintage shopping again, now that I got rid of a lot of things
    Loved all your pictures

    ReplyDelete

A life touched by God always ends in touching others. - Erwin McManus

I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness for it shows me the stars. - Og Mandino (1923-1996)

For creativity to flourish one should try to look at everything as though it were being seen for the first or the last time. - Quote from "A Thousand Paths To Creativity" by David Baird

Is what I'm about to say an improvement on silence? ~ Galen Pearl