Tuesday, July 18, 2017

A Day At The Zoo



So I remember a Zoo Membership being less than Twenty Bucks a Year, yeah, that's just how long it's been since I bought one!  *Smiles*   But Princess T has been tenacious about me buying an Annual Zoo Pass Membership for the Fam, so I finally gave in, second mortgaged the Home and got one.  *Winks*   Only kidding, but Yowsah have Memberships gone up since the good ole' days!




The Sweet Cashier must have seen my sticker shock, so even tho' any Child over the Age of 12 is supposed to be at Adult Membership Price, she let me have one for The Young Prince at a Child's rate, along with Princess T whose legitimately under Twelve!   *Whew!*   Besides, The Young Prince and The Man won't join us 99.9% of the time anyway so full price for them is really an outright Donation!  *LOL*




Did I mention it's Monsoon Season?  So the Humidity is at 100% with 108 degrees being the Monsoon Season average Temps, so it does feel positively Tropical!   Kinda goes with the Exotic Birds and Animals... but I ain't gonna lie, the Humidity zaps me every time even tho' I can take intense Desert heat!   And Day No. One we lasted only 30 minutes since a fierce Monsoon Storm rolled in Haboob Style and it got Crazy real fast so we aborted the Zoo Experience prematurely!




That day it was only Princess T, The Man and I... The Young Prince had wisely looked to the North and said, I don't think I wanna be at the Zoo when that Storm hits, I'll sit this one out guys.   Dontcha Hate it when a Kid is Wiser than you!?   Well, they do say he's a Genius... and clearly I'm not, since the ominous dark clouds rolling in from the North hadn't alarmed me that much nor deterred my enthusiasm.  The Zoo is only 100 Acres after all, Guess I thought we could do all that before the Storm hit?!  *Bwahahahahaha!*




Oh, and The Man stubbornly and Pridefully refusing to bring his Zimmerframe Walker with a Seat along, natch!  So he's slow as molasses running uphill in February... and has advanced COPD... so you can only Imagine the outcome once the Storm hit with a vengeance and we're out in the lower forty of the Zoo's Acreage!   Remember the Wizard Of Oz when the Tornado hit?  Yeah, it was kinda like that and my entourage was as motley a crew as Dorothy had in tow!




So we'd been sweating profusely in the humidity and then when the Sandstorm hit you now had Sand that felt like Glass whipping against and sticking to your skin!   It was so very Memorable... and I couldn't help myself, I began laughing hysterically at the absurdity of it all!   Especially after what I'd just paid for this Torture, I must be absolutely Mad!!!?!  




Now Princess T and The Man think I'm laughing AT them and they get upset as Hell!  AS IF I'd actually be laughing at him not being able to breathe and her being scared Shitless by the Storm!!   But you know how it is when you've reached the point of near hysteria, it made me laugh all the more and I just couldn't stop!  The Wind has whipped up to over 65 mph and I've got leaves, sticks and shit sticking in my Dreads while trying to Shepherd them along into a Building for Safety... it was just Comical beyond belief at that point!!!




Good thing we'd snapped off some good pixs in the Calm before the Storm... I was thinking I would NEVER get The Man to ever come again... well, one wasted Membership down the drain!?!   But the next Morning Princess T was raring to go back and finish what we'd begun... just her and I this time around.  It was still 100% humidity and about 111 degrees... why not... after all, we'd already established I'm completely Insane!  *Smiles*




It really was an excellent Workout, like a Sauna and being on the Treadmill simultaneously, only with Exotic Animals.   That and a four dollar Snowcone and five dollar Soda at "Zooberto's" in the Zoo, since we'd of dropped dead otherwise!   And Yes, that's the name of the Fast Food Mexican Restaurant in the Zoo... a take on all the '-berto's' bonanza of Mexican Joints in the City!  Good ole' American Marketing Strategy since there are likely no Owners with the names of... Filiberto's, Umberto's, Roberto's, Rigaberto's, Alberto's, Humberto's etcetera times a Million of these Joints!!!  *Ha ha ha*




But she was having the time of her Life and so it was all Good... and the very next day was her Brother's turn to do the Zoo with Gramma.  Thankfully he's much more 'Into' the Aquatic Animals, which are mostly housed in the air conditioned buildings scattered about the Zoo!   I think he must spend half his Life online soaking in Marine Life Trivia because he knew way more about every Fish than I thought was Humanly possible!!!   He's a walking Encyclopedia of Knowledge when it comes to anything that fascinates him.




Let's pet the Manta Rays Gramma, but only use two fingers... and after I do and mention the texture of their skin... The Young Prince tells me it's a protective Slime and to limit my touching since it will make them prone to infections!   I question the Ranger on Manta Petting Duty, he confirms this fact... which is why I'm then thinking, why do we have a Manta Ray Petting Station then?   Seems like it's not beneficial to the Rays and then I felt bad for having touched them in ignorance at all!   Besides, now I have Manta Ray Slime on my hands and we haven't had Lunch yet... does this stuff come off easily I'm Wondering?  *LOL*




Most of the Animals were as Hot as we were and so I got some great Close-Ups since they were just too Hot and Tired to even try to get away or bother I suppose?!  *Smiles*   Go ahead Pathological Picture Taking Annoying Human, I'll even strike a Pose for ya.    It helped that some enclosures have Feeding Stations and now they're used to Humans = Zoo Kibbles.  I went thru all my Quarters buying Zoo Kibbles for various Fish and Animals... but The Force Loved it and so did the Critters!   My hands now smelled like Zoo Kibbles and we still haven't had Lunch yet... Splendid... hands with Zoo Kibble Aroma and Manta Ray Slime!!!  I'm now looking for the nearest Bathroom Sinks!  *LOL*




As we walk to the Restaurant, 'Dillon's' which has Fab Food BTW... at the Bar Lounge is the Tank with the enormous Albino Crocodile.  I remember him from Years ago when my Kids were little, clearly they live a long time!!!  I'm thinking to myself, he's Aging way better than me... tho' we both are now considerably larger all these years later.  *Winks*   He'll probably still be around whenever The G-Kid Force bring their own Children one day!?




This enormous Lizard's tongue was equally enormous and he seemed to Enjoy having his Photo taken and getting so much Attention.   Wouldn't it be Cool to have one of those as a Pet Gramma, The Young Prince muses... NO... NO it would NOT I respond.   I envision The Young Prince's Home years from now filled with all manner of Exotic Pets and I won't have to ever go to a Zoo again, I'll just have to go to his House!?!  Or mebbe I won't... I'm not sure my Heart could take what his House might look like given the track record of what his Living Spaces here often look like!?!   Throw in some scary Fear Factor Creatures he's fascinated with and it would just be too much for me to handle I'm sure!  *Smiles* 




But we had a Good Time together... if I just have ONE of any of them in tow, be it The Man, The Young Prince or Princess T, we usually do and I don't have to moderate or mediate between them all.   The Young Prince actually has a hilarious sense of Humor and we laugh constantly when we're out together without an entourage of Sister or Grandpa.  He does flawless impersonations and has that wry sense of Gallow's Humor that I just Enjoy.   After the Zoo we were going to my Health Food Grocery Stores on the East Side of the City.




The Man had asked us if, when we got there, we could pick him up some Oreos and Mayo!?   The Young Prince had turned to me and given me that knowing Look with a Grin and wryly responded... Sure, Grandpa, we'll look for some Vegan Oreos and Organic Mayo while we're at Whole Foods... *Bwahahahahahaha!!!*   While we were at Trader Joe's, next door to Whole Foods, a Lovely Young Clerk with a huge bun of Festival Dreadlocks tells us there is such a thing as their healthier version of Oreos... who knew?!   So we got them... don't know that he'll actually eat them... I think they say Gluten Free or made with Spelt Flour or something that will convince him they're not Real Oreos, but Hippie substitutes??!   *LMAO*




Yes, for years he's given me crap about my Hippie preferences in things, and Lifestyle, but he was dead serious about the Oreos and Mayo even tho' he knew we weren't going to a 'Normal' Grocery Store and one of MY Grocery Stores instead!  *Smiles*  This is when we realize... and the Young Prince says, Gramma his Brain Damage is probably permanent becoz he really thinks Whole Foods has Oreos?!?!?!??!!  *LOL*   Sorry, I don't care who you are, that's Funny!!!  *Winks*   And if you were offended and have delicate sensibilities... get a Life... around here we've learned to find Gallow's Humor in the Darker things about Life's serious Issues we Deal with daily... it saves our Sanity, what little we have left!




And call me a Super Weirdo, but I thoroughly Enjoy traipsing around my Health Food Grocery Stores, it smells Healthy and makes me want to eat even Healthier options!   It also has the best Hand-Made Soaps ever, which The Young Prince and I J'Adore and we smelled every single one and then chose two apiece to bring Home.   Mine of coarse had scents such as Patchouli, Sandalwood and one called Hippee that is Nag Champa blend and my Favorite {above}.




This is the Patchouli and Sandalwood blend bar, also Divine and my 2nd Favorite scent.   The Aroma is strong enough with these Soaps that it scents the entire Bathroom... and the Vehicle on the ride Home!  *Smiles*   The Young Prince is one of the few people who will spend hours smelling Hand-Made Soaps with me and have an intense dialogue about which ones are our Favorites and why!  *Smiles*   He was totally Jazzed that I let him pick out a couple of his own Favorites.  Most of his Favs have Eucalyptus, Green Tea, Citrus and Spicy tones to the Scents.  He said they make him think of a Tea House like Chakra 4 or my Chinese Doctor's Office Healing Herbal Aromas.




We were unanimous about this Bar's Scent tho', which has a heady Floral tone that smells like Roses and a mixture of something equally intoxicating.  We were told it is one of their best sellers and we got the last bar of it this day.   But I digress and got carried away with Hand-Made Soaps... Smiles... so back to a Day at the Zoo...




The Young Prince and I decided that should we get a Pool installed one day we'd like to have an Aztec Theme something like this to give it an Ancient Temple Ruins feel.   We'd want a smaller Natural looking Swimming Hole sort of Pool, so size isn't nearly as important as the Visual of it being Unique and Pleasing to the Eye.   Tho' we all like using a Pool, we aren't Fans of the Traditional looking back yard Pool.




Too bad we don't have Acreage anymore Gramma he lamented, so that we can't ever have Peacocks.   He and I have fantasized about having Peacocks and at the Historic Homestead we could have some and never got around to it.  Tho' I had a Friend that bred them and would have given me one had The Man not been so opposed!   They are loud and have a haunting cry he said, besides, in the Old Hood of an Inner City perhaps they wouldn't have been all that safe from harm and so I never did get any.




In Arizona almost all of the Historic Ranches had Peacocks on the grounds and so many of the ancestors of those original birds are still on the grounds of the few remaining Ranch sites, many of which have become City Public Parks.  The Zoo had some fine specimens of several Peacock species as well as some Albino Peacocks.




Tho' the Zoo has a wealth of Animals, Birds and Aquatic Life, I'm drawn to the Exotic Birds and their Show-Out Colorful Feathers and other plumage like the Crests on some of their heads.   This one I tried to Photograph behind it's chain link fence, which gave it a rather unexpected muted Vignette look to the Image.




And of coarse who doesn't Love the Monkeys and their funny acrobatic graceful antics?  There were several Baby Monkeys that must have been born just this Spring and they are beyond Adorable!   This Adult Monkey was playing Peek-A-Boo with us... The Young Prince is suspicious of Monkeys tho', he is convinced most of them would rather throw their poo at you so he keeps his distance from the cages, just in case!  *LOL*  Thankfully there were no poo flinging Monkeys this day... the heat can do that to ya and stifle urges I suppose?  *LOL*




Even tho' it was spendy, I'm Glad I bought a Zoo Membership finally, I think we'll get a lot of use out of it {well some of us anyway} since we live so close to one of the two larger Zoos Citywide.   When one is practically in your back yard you really have the opportunity, when the Weather is nice, or if you're Crazy and even go when it's not... to visit often and walk the grounds for exercise, relaxation and enjoyment.




There's just something Special and almost Sacred about being around Nature and it's varied Wildlife that can't be replicated.   There are many things that I do Enjoy doing, but being out in Nature and around God's Creatures is by far my most Enjoyable times Communing with it all.   Yes, I am one to talk to the Animals and they typically respond to an Appreciative and Respectful Human Voice interacting with them.  Or mebbe it's entertaining to them to listen to the Crazy Lady having a one-sided conversation with them, I dunno?




I like to view them from afar... but it's even more Special when you can up close and more personal.   Those that have become accustomed to Human interactions, tho' certainly not Tame and are still Wild, have developed somewhat of a Bond with us.   We got there at Feeding Time and it was hilarious to see how the Animals just knew it was Time, without the aide of a Clock... and how animated they became at the excitement of a good meal being delivered soon!




And Yes, The Young Prince also Enjoyed his Meal sitting by the enormous Shark Tank in the Main Restaurant and watching them at Feeding Time as we also savored our Meal.   I had taken his Grandpa and Sister to the same Restaurant that first day.  May I suggest the Catfish Dinner, it is Sublime and is enough food to serve two amply, so I usually split it with a Grandchild and it's more than enough for both of us!!!  Yes, I had successfully washed Manta Slime and Zoo Kibble odors off my hands beforehand.




And when The G-Kid Force begins School next Month I suspect I'll be taking long walks at the Zoo by myself after I drop them all off... in the Quiet of the Mornings, a Nice way to begin the day and get some daily exercise.  So actually it was cheaper than buying a Gym Membership, so I can't complain.  *Winks*




This was one of the views from the Restaurant Windows... and you can't beat that either, can you?   I'm all about The View... and a Good Meal with a View, well, it doesn't get much better than that does it?!?




This Morning I'll be taking The Man to his VA Primary Doctor's Appointment that we've waited over Six Months for, so I Needed to get my Zen on... and a few consecutive days at the Zoo was just the place to do it.  Hopefully I soaked up enough Zen to get me thru the whole VA Ordeal Experience... we'll see... one has to be virtually Saturated with Zen to keep one's Calm and sense of Humor whilst Dealing with the VA I've found!!!   And a Morbid sense of Gallow's Humor don't hurt either!!!!!!!!   *Winks*




*******

Blessings from the Arizona Desert... Dawn... The Bohemian

4 comments:

  1. Your a beyond brave grandma! I'm sure glad I don't have any grand kids close wanting me to go with them to the zoo! And the heat!! No Way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marlynne I suspect your precious Grands can talk you into plenty of Senior Crazy Moments? Winks

      Delete
  2. Is that an egg underneath the Flamingo in the last photo? Loved seeing all these great shots, Dawn, especially the Peacocks - they're one of my favorites. And the Aztec pool - beautiful, and very calming to look at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that was an Egg indeed, many of the birds were nesting and had eggs, it is a Breeding Zoo so their wildlife seem happy and healthy enough to breed regularly and I just love seeing all the new babies!

      Delete

A life touched by God always ends in touching others. - Erwin McManus

I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness for it shows me the stars. - Og Mandino (1923-1996)

For creativity to flourish one should try to look at everything as though it were being seen for the first or the last time. - Quote from "A Thousand Paths To Creativity" by David Baird

Is what I'm about to say an improvement on silence? ~ Galen Pearl