Thursday, June 22, 2017

In Place Of Correspondence



When was the last time you received a Letter?  I mean a REAL one, written by Hand, not just a brief Note or a Card, not an E-Mail or FB Messenger, not a rare and probably spontaneous Comment to something you left on Social Media sites, not a Tweet or a Text... but a Letter, send by Snail Mail, with a Postage Stamp and the Time taken to Correspond with you?   I cannot even remember, it's just been that long ago, and it's something I certainly Miss and am often Nostalgic about.




I recall when people exchanged Meaningful Correspondence with one another, sometimes including the unexpected Photograph, which was always a Joy.   Sure, Social Media is a platform now to reach out to almost anyone, anywhere, instantly and I think that has taken the place of Old Fashioned Correspondence like Letters.   Or even Telephone Calls and actual Visits in person, since after all, we've become such an Instant Society that Socialization has taken on a whole new form.

  


I'm torn tho', between Enjoying what now IS and what WAS.  I've finally dragged myself, rather reluctantly, and with the help of Grandchildren, into the 21st Century to join everyone else in most of these forms of Communication.  And I suppose I receive feedback more often than I ever did by Mail, but I still really do miss waiting each day for the Mail to arrive to see if a Letter was mixed in with the Bills and the Junk Mail.




Now the only Letters one might receive are from Corporations and because it's a Letter, I find myself Reading them, with a bit of Nostalgia that at least it's a Letter!  Because they know I probably wouldn't even glance at an E-Mail since I seem to still get like 200 of those damned annoying things a day!  *Smiles*  Yes, even the most Epic Letter was never annoying to sit down and read even if I couldn't do it all in one sitting, but an E-Mail, I just can't get thru most of those!




 I recently ordered my Ancestry DNA, finally, and even that result won't come in a hard copy form and I'll have to print it off myself whenever the results come in by E-Mail!   And how lazy is that of them for you to pay what you do for that Information and not even receive it in Letter Form?  Right now it's the only reason I'm checking my E-Mails, since I almost never do except to delete them all without reading hardly any of them!




As well as Letters being an Endangered Species, Post Cards and Greeting Cards are too, I can't even recall the last time I saw a Hallmark Store in a Mall, remember those?   Sure, every Big Box Store and Grocery Chain now carries an extensive Greeting Card section.  But has the cost of Cards become so prohibitive because they simply aren't Selling the volume of them that they used to?  I don't know about you, but the E-Card just doesn't Move me like receiving a Real Deal Greeting Card does?




And Christmas Cards, last Season I was shocked how few of those are offered anymore even in the Mega Chains, because frankly, most people have quit exchanging those too.   I can tell by volume not being received like in the Old Days at this household, we used to be able to plaster a wall with them.  I looked forward to receiving them from even those who never bothered to write Letters and you might only ever hear from annually at Christmas.  I've taken to not bothering to send one to anyone whose abandoned the practice tho', I suspect one day I won't bother to send any either, to anyone.




I don't know if it's only because I'm Aging that certain things hold a Nostalgic place in my Heart that just aren't done anymore?   But I do suspect I'm not the Lone Ranger, I do Believe that in place of Correspondence things like Blogging became alternatives and this gained popularity.  I'm Thankful for those alternatives that keep me Connected to others, since we're housebound a lot nowadays and Caregiving is a Lonely and Isolating existence.




  I think those of us who still Write Blogs probably were avid Letter Writers?  That those that Visit Blogs regularly, and especially those who leave Comments, were probably likely to visit people in the Flesh regularly and might miss Real Socialization falling by the wayside?  I'm just speculating, but I Believe those to be possibilities of why Blogging too hasn't become an Endangered Practice?




It's dying off tho', compared to what it used to be, Blogging really is falling by the wayside just like everything else as most move on to the next new thing.  Letter Writing at least had a good long run, a longer run I suspect than any of the Modern Versions of Communication ever will.  And the Romance of a Love Letter, well, what DO the Young People replace that with now, Erotic Texts... Private Social Media Messages that could be hacked into and read by anyone?  




Myself I prefer the Good Old Fashioned Letter coming in the Mail, I actually used to Save many of them and read them more than once if the content was particularly Meaningful.   I still have some that Dearly departed Loved Ones wrote to me and those are even more Priceless now that they've Crossed Over and their Essence and forms of expression are still evidence left on sheets of paper and in their own Hand.   Meaningful exchange to me personally and nobody else, just for my Eyes.  I suppose it's why I also have a Passion for Vintage Ephemera?




If Family haven't taken down the FB Pages of their Dearly departed Loved Ones that were Friends or Extended Family to us also, I often still stop by for a visit. To read the last things they wrote on this side of Time and Eternity.  It's rather profound to me really that one day they were making an entry on their Wall or sending a PM to me and suddenly... Silence... as they moved on to the Afterlife.  The transition sometimes was expected, other times not.




I don't know how long things such as Blogs remain out here in Cyberspace, perhaps indefinitely, I'm really not certain?   I do know I can still visit some that ceased Blogging quite some time ago and Enjoy their Archived Posts, even tho' some Imagery now is missing and you get that triangle with an exclamation point replacing it as the Image must have dumped.




Yes, I know that if I were to receive an actual Letter nowadays I'd likely just savor it for a while, unopened, turning it over in my hands, with anticipation of what it held inside?   And perhaps want to open it in such a way as would not disturb the appearance of it because it has become such a Rarity!  It would be so unexpected that perhaps even the Mailman would be shocked that some last bastion of Humanity is still exchanging Real and Meaningful Correspondence that is not so superficial?  Can it be resurrected from the Grave I Wonder?



*******

Blessings from the Arizona Desert... Dawn... The Bohemian 


13 comments:

  1. Very interesting post. I have a friend in Cali. She was principal of a Deaf and Blind school. She never looks at her email, and prefers phones which I really don't like. I need the ability to rear back my words, occasionally. LOL and she won't read the blog, doesn't do FB---So, I maybe forced to write to her. Horrors! But, I will try.
    Grins, this was quite interesting as my blog life has been short---I see a few are going to Instagram and tweets. Eventually, perhaps we will only be communicating electronically with emoji's. Actually, just like cavemen drawing on walls, or rosetta stones carved with someone's 'yearnings' only to be the key to a lost language eons later.
    Very interesting post, you always make me think, Thanks, Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it was good to get feedback from someone, such as yourself Sandi, who isn't so much into writing or calling, so that I can see it from the perspective of someone who isn't as comfortable with those forms of communication. I just Love to write and to Socialize too, so I miss the lack of physical evidence personalizing created thru these dying forms of communication. There seems to me to be a lack of Socialization forming in Society now and like Colette, I do worry about it for Future Generations becoming so disconnected. Dawn... The Bohemian

      Delete
  2. I wonder about the loss of physical evidence of love, family, thoughts. I guess I do more than wonder, I worry about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too worry about it for Future Generations my Friend, I think the work is becoming disconnected and the lack of Socialization is disturbing. Dawn... The Bohemian

      Delete
    2. Ooops, typo, I meant the World is becoming disconnected... sorry.

      Delete
  3. I miss letters, too. I still send out Christmas cards, and I try to write something personal in each one, whether I saw/spoke to the person a week ago or a year (or more) ago. Sure hope that doesn't go away, but I certainly don't see anyone under the age of 40 who is carrying on this tradition. Occasionally, I WILL write a letter to a loved one if there is something very important that needs to be said to them; this usually translates to me giving "advice" to my children and/or their spouses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know anyone under the age of 40 that exchanges anything, not letters, not cards and most of the time, from what my Adult Children tell me many Young Adults now prefer to Socialize NOT IN PERSON and via their electronic devices instead! Wow... it makes me sad for Future Generations becoming so de-socialized. Dawn... The Bohemian

      Delete
  4. I am lucky, two blogging friends have sent me written mail in the last month. Like you, I treasure a hand written note or letter. Love your images of older mail and the telegram. I have some vintage postcards about 100 years old that I read and re-read, so nostalgic. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How Fortunate you are Pam that you still have Friends who exchange written Letters! I think the last letter I received was from my 86 year old Uncle from Wales, his Generation still writes, few other Generations do anymore. Dawn... The Bohemian

      Delete
  5. Ah this is so true, and I'm guilty. I miss getting Christmas cards in the mail and any letters for that matter. The vintage pieces take me back in time, even though it was before my time. My next visit with Abuela will be going through photo albums which it seems is another sentimental past time. I hope you all are staying cool. Have a restful weekend...unless your up for adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Photo Albums, also a vanishing practice I'm afraid... and a pity since modern photography is so much more advanced and takes such excellent images! Now it's so easy and common to be able to take instant images that people don't place much value upon them. I am staying Cool and just Resting Today. Dawn... The Bohemian

      Delete
  6. Yes, Letter writing is a rarity now days! I still send homemade cards, but not as many as I use too! I really enjoy the blogs and keeping track of people and happenings by Facebook and e-mail, so I guess we just savor what we can from both worlds!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember the letters from my boyfriends back in the day when long-distance calling got you more than a stink eye from a parent. I was grounded so often for high phone bills but my fellas and I back then wrote these long wonderful letters. We took our time handwriting the address; we decorated the envelopes and the margins of the letters. Sometimes they smelled of perfume. *Swoon* Those were the days. Yet, I recall wishing that would be able to see them more often but knowing then what I know now, I would not change a thing. I would not want to Facebook message them, or see their Instagram. I love that I had to wait for the mail to the arrive. The anticipation of going out the mailbox. Sigh. Thank you for the memories.

    ReplyDelete

A life touched by God always ends in touching others. - Erwin McManus

I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness for it shows me the stars. - Og Mandino (1923-1996)

For creativity to flourish one should try to look at everything as though it were being seen for the first or the last time. - Quote from "A Thousand Paths To Creativity" by David Baird

Is what I'm about to say an improvement on silence? ~ Galen Pearl