Friday, April 28, 2017

When Your Hair Falls Out



I have Shared it before, my hair and eyelashes have been falling out and breaking due to the med regimen I have to be on for the out of control Diabetes we're trying to Manage successfully.  One of the unfortunate side effects of something necessary or much more might fall off!  *Le Sigh*  So... Dealing with that has been a bit of a Head Trip to be sure, I kinda like having hair and eyelashes.  So I've been seriously contemplating some measures to take where I have a Peace about my Journey thru the Diabetic Minefield.




I had an epiphany of sorts about the eyelashes and dosed myself up with a Vitamin regimen that worked and they began growing back!  However, the hair thing still leaves far too many strands in my brushes, evidence of the hair falling out way more than usual.   I Needed an epiphany of sorts about that too and Meditated upon it for quite some time actually.  Then it hit me, I've always liked Dreads... I've always wanted to try them but been too timid.  Would my dead straight very fine thin Native American type hair even Lock I Wondered?




If I'd Inherited my Dear Mom's naturally kinky locks I'd definitely have no problem, Mom's hair used to have to be ironed when she was Young to get it up under control where it wasn't cork screw curly and coarse!  She was overjoyed when she moved to the States and found Black Hair Care products that also worked well on her Wild Hair and tamed it!  I had the opposite problem, my hair wouldn't hold a wave or a curl to save it's life, even back in the heyday of perms mine would last a matter of DAYS!  My hair can't hold a tangle after a Shower, so would it hold a Lock or even Lock Up?


NOTE: The rest of the Images are not my own and gleaned Online... all Credit goes to the Wonderful Photographers that Shared them in the Online Community!




I knew that once Dreaded shedding would be eliminated and shed hairs normally Lost would just Lock up in the Dread and maintain my length and have an illusion of thicker hair.   I actually Like Dreadlocks a lot so the Style itself was not something that made me the least bit nervous.  I did my due diligence of Dreadlocking White Girl Hair for preferred Methods I'd have a Peace about and understand Maintenance of the Style. 




 I've checked out local Salons and decided on the one I will go to if and when I Commit.  And if it didn't work out or I didn't like it, well, I figured chopping it all off wasn't something I was that opposed to either at this stage of my hair Journey... I have little to nothing to lose, except hair!  And it's just hair after all.  I've rolled my scads of hair coming out in the brushes into mini Dreads, Locks just Fine actually and I like the Texture.




The immediate Family and Closest of Friends have been Supportive, they know I'm a Weirdo anyway and it's actually very ME to go in this direction so they were unphased by my decision.  You have that Look anyway most of them said, the hair would just Complete it!  *LOL*  The Young Prince was very excited for me, he's already strategizing putting beads and wire or colorful yarns into my Locks and helping me thru the Awkward Year or so my hair will take to Lock Up properly and resemble the Idealized Dread and not just a Hot Mess.   So now... only to Explore the possibilities... I rather like these very thin Dreads for thin hair but it looks like extensions.  I'm not opposed to getting extensions eventually if I Need them, but one thing at a time... *Smiles*




I don't have thick hair so I doubt mine would be phatt Locks anyway... but I do Love the Yarn and Accessory options, that's very much My Style... to Over Accessorize to the hilt!  *Winks*   The Young Prince and Princess T are both eager to learn how to Palm Roll for me so they can help me Maintain the back Locks I might not be able to easily reach and Maintain without Help.  They know the hair and eyelashes falling out thing has been more than a nuisance, it's been rather disheartening while dealing with everything else going on with our Personal Front.   I got News Today that my Dear Lil Brother's HEART is now giving out too!   So I've been distraught... going Blind was bad enough, but he's not a viable candidate for Heart Transplant, so it is what it is... failing ticker.




By comparison just concerns about hair and eyelashes seems to be a trifle really... one really rather easily remedied since you can easily BUY new hair and lashes!   New tickers, new eyes... nope... not on the store shelves.  I know that my Lil Bro' will go out in Style and Living Life FULLY the whole way, he's one like me to skid in sideways to the Pearly Gates and say, Shit what a Wild Ride that was!!!   We Share the same Gallows Humor, it must be in our DNA.  And speaking of DNA I also ordered one of those Ancestry DNA Kits which should be coming in the mail any day now.   Since there were Adoptions within the Family and a lot of knowledge only handed down in elaborate Story Telling on both sides, I'm just Curious to fill in the gaps, sorting Myth from actual Genetic markers that show the Journey on both sides more completely and accurately.




Don't get me wrong, I still Enjoy a Good Ole Embellished Family Story, our Families have been superb Storytellers and I'll never ditch those precious Stories even if some turn out not to be so accurate after all and certain Creative Liberties were added over the Generations to give it all more Flavor and Interest.   I don't really Care, my Curious Nature will have been satisfied and I'll hold onto whatever parts I like best because if you Love a Good Story, whether it was Fiction or Non-Fiction really doesn't even matter and is a moot point.  The Memory to me was in who told it and handed it down thru the Generations, so it became Our Truth in so many ways that don't Need to be dissected or scrutinized closely.   Just like my answer to Why a White Girl would want Dreads being asked {yes, some ask that}... be ready to have me hit you with my unvarnished Truth and then walk casually away after I respond... 'coz my hair is falling out!   *Winks*




*******

Blessings from the Arizona Desert... Dawn... The Bohemian

13 comments:

  1. I can definitely see you in the look and enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You for the positive vibes my Friend, I can see me Enjoying it as well. For a while my health has not been Ideal and so my hair has shown the effects of that with stalled growth and damage... so trying something different voluntarily makes me feel better already... control freak that I am! *winks* Dawn... The Bohemian

      Delete
  2. I think it maybe smashing, maybe just on the top---I can see some great textured yarns, all in shades of your natural hair, some with sheen, and maybe some flickers of silver or copper and gold. Have a great experiment. I had long hair for almost three years because of a loss issue from meds. Luckily I could wrap it around the top where it was getting so thin. Eventually it came back, and now, I have to have it cut to control it. Please share this journey...Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad your hair came back and mine may as well, I'm not sure, but I think the Change will do me good during a difficult time where there are 'forced' changes, this one will be voluntary and psychologically that will be balancing things for me. I will indeed Share the Journey! Dawn... The Bohemian

      Delete
  3. Taking heart medicine and aging has thinned my hair considerably. I was very upset when it first happened but have learned to work with it. However, I look back at 10 year old pictures of myself and feel sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think Aging and the Meds have taken a toll on my poor locks too! Finding it hard to do anything with my hair now, never had thick or luxurious hair anyway... also finding it impossible to find a Salon that does Anglo Dreads... so still have to search before making the leap... LOL ... Dawn... The Bohemian

      Delete
  4. Love it! You are such a joy. Very sorry to hear about your brother's heart issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I want to make a Road Trip to Cali once the G-Force are on Summer Break to go visit him. Dawn... The Bohemian

      Delete
  5. Oh yes Dawn! You will look AMAZING with dreads - a perfect idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it would be perfect IF I could find a Salon that has any experience doing Anglo Dreads, so far NO luck even as large as the Metro Phoenix area is! Seems so many Younger folks just order a Kit from Online Pros and have a Dread Party with Friends doing the tedious process... had to laugh, can't imagine getting a bunch of Seniors to do a Dread Party, what with arthritic hands and carpel tunnel... so it just make me LOL that it's not an option for me... I don't have enough close Friends still alive to DO such a thing! Alas... so my search for a Salon competent and experienced enough continues... we'll see... may not play out... boo hoo... Dawn... The Bohemian

      Delete
  6. I think you would rock those dreads! I do hope you post your ancestry finds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got my Ancestry DNA Kit in the mail today and I know the results take 8+ weeks, probably longer now they're hosting a promotional deal... so I can't wait to see the finds and will certainly be interesting to find out what has been myth handed down, or speculation... and what is factual? Dawn... The Bohemian

      Delete
  7. I just ran across your blog and this post! I have wanted to dread up for a long time but I don't know if I would ever have the guts. I hate that you aren't having any luck finding a salon and wondered if you had called an ethnic hair salon. That is what some of the folks do around here. Can't wait to see what you do!

    Grace & Peace,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete

A life touched by God always ends in touching others. - Erwin McManus

I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness for it shows me the stars. - Og Mandino (1923-1996)

For creativity to flourish one should try to look at everything as though it were being seen for the first or the last time. - Quote from "A Thousand Paths To Creativity" by David Baird

Is what I'm about to say an improvement on silence? ~ Galen Pearl