Wednesday, March 29, 2017

The Arrangement



The Arrangement around here is that I Love to Style but I Hate to Clean... so I couldn't wait to do my Arrangement of the New Display Case, even tho' there was a tonnage of housework laying about being procrastinated and retracted!  *LOL*  I was like a Kid with a new toy when I FINALLY got my Antique Barrister Bookcase to Display and Arrange my Cabinet of Curiosities and Oddities in, I couldn't wait to get to it... unlike said housework!  You see, I'm like that Kid that abhors Cleaning their room but will spend endless hours foofing random shit happily!  *Smiles*




So... said Case looks Awesome... rest of Home, not so much!  Tho' I did Clean the Hallway it's in, just to Stage the Photo Shoot to Reveal how far I've gotten in filling up the new Cabinet.   It's not done yet, I'll be arranging and rearranging things endlessly for a while until it finally comes together the way I like it best.   But for now you get the gist of what it will be Displaying of many years of Strange Stuff I like to Collect and Style our Home with.   I have never had a Curiosity Display that didn't attract Interest when anyone comes to visit, Humans basically have a Curious Nature.  How they Feel about the Strange Stuff will vary, but they will Feel something and that's the point!




I've said it numerous times before, but it has always been my Desire, since Childhood, to have a Home as Interesting and Fascinating as The Addams Family Sitcom Home.  So when I find anything Peculiar, Interesting or Macabre I usually pick it up if it's within budget.   Items in Nature and Botanical Specimens also Appeal to me strongly and I like Decorating with them too and adding them to the mix.




 Along with items that signify various Belief Systems of Mankind, which were always my earliest Collections, since Beliefs and Spirituality around the World are Fascinating and Interesting to me.  How Mankind Worships, relates to and interacts with the Spiritual World that we cannot see is evident in every Culture on the Planet.  I find this to be no mere coincidence and something I've sought to have more of a deeper Understanding of and mutual Respect for.





Speaking of Spirit, a Spirit Orb showed up in this Image right after I was done, Critiquing my Work perhaps?  *Smiles*  It hovered around the Cabinet for a while and was a bright enough one to be seen with the naked Eye, sometimes you can't see them but they'll Photograph nicely.   We co-exist with the Spirit World effortlessly, since I grew up to Respect it exists all around us.  Since both my Mother and Father's Cultures have Great Respect for the Essence that is Spirit, in Living Form or that which has Crossed Over to the other side, it's not unusual to us to sense Spirit presence and the Essence of a Living thing's Spirit as well.  That aspect too is Fascinating to me, how Cultural viewpoints have an impact upon how Individuals view Death, Spirit and any interactions with either.




Though we do have certain Rules to what is brought in and how any of it is used or Displayed, since I admit I was raised by very Superstitious people and thus I am Superstitious by upbringing and I rarely Questioned the Wisdom of my Elders about how to Respect the Spirit World.  Such as I do have a Collection of Vintage Spirit Boards, but no Planchette is brought into the Home ever and we don't fool around with contacting the Other Side or conjuring up stuff.   I don't take lightly that you can get into things ignorantly that can Create chaos and invite evil in... no such Invitations are extended.  I don't Freak people out quite as much as my Dear Old Mom used to, with her considerable Abilities, but she taught me a lot and it's Served me very well.




As a Family we've always been more Comfortable around the Macabre and the Unusual than the average person might be.   I have always strongly Connected to others who are too, we are mos def a Tribe of sorts.  If the Weird And Wonderful Appeals to you strongly, you are likely to get along very well with others who gravitate towards it too and find you have much it common beyond even that.   Amulets and Talisman Objects are something I Lived alongside all of my Life and it was Amusing to me when I discovered that so many others did not... who knew?   Needless to say, because we did, we were thought to be the Peculiar ones... and we were Okay with that.  *LOL*




I really like that our New Home has many Niches to Display various Collections and very wide Arched Hallways to put Furniture that lends itself to the Display of Styled and Curated Collections.   I know that for most people Hallways are a nuisance, but for me, I've always Loved a Home filled with Hallways, the wider and more maze-like the better!   We've had many Visitors turn in the wrong direction and get Lost in both our Old Historic Homestead and here at New Villa Boheme'!!  Because of how disorienting the various Hallways were as to what direction they were heading!?  *Smiles*  You should see someone's confusion when they realize they don't recall which Hallway they entered through and which Door leads back out?!   So they go down the wrong one and have to be Guided back.   *Winks*




It was the Quirky and yet ingenious flow, layout and Architecture of this Home that actually caused me to fall in Love with it and be able to Let Go of our Historic Property.   It wasn't Typical and I'd not seen any like it before, it was Uncommon... and of coarse I Like that better, right?!  *Winks*   Though I knew a New Build, unless it was completely Custom, would not be OOAK like our Old Historic Homestead, it could be Unusual enough to suit us, this fit the bill nicely. I also like how it Showcases my Possessions, those I've decided to Keep.




I liked that it had Sepia as the predominant Color Scheme too, so all of my things went very well here and it felt Warm and Inviting.   You wouldn't Believe some of the hideous Colors I'd seen predominating a lot of Homes when I was looking to buy a new one!!!  Yikes!!!  Even more off-putting to me than a completely White Colorless empty Home, since if every Wall is painted White it looks too stark and devoid of Personality or Character, so I couldn't leave it that way and would have to banish it, which would be too much Work to repaint an entire house right after a purchase!  *Smiles*  And now, since Grey is Trending, some have gone overboard with the predominance of Grey, especially with Home Flips.   I Love Grey if it's Tastefully done like an Old European Chateau, but if it's not done Well it can look very Cold and have an Institutional feeling. 




I do Love a good Jewel Tone and a Marrakesh Style Home too, but here in the Arizona Desert you don't find any Moorish Designed Homes, which is a pity, I'd like to have had that as an Option.   But I am totally at Home in a Santa Barbara Tuscan Inspired and Designed Home, I Love the Architectural Details of it and the Warm Tuscan Color Palette as well, it's Timeless and not Dated.  Don't you just laugh out loud when you see the Home Flip Shows and they walk into a Home that is very Dated and not in a Good way?   Some Eras were so Culturally Deprived or just plain Weird with what Trended during them, that it's a Bad Flashback and Trip to the Sins of the Past Architects that built them!  *LMAO*




I Love Old Homes and Historic Homes in particular, but 1965, the end of the Mid-Century Modern Era of Architecture, is my Cut-Off.  Since much after that was just hideous and Dated in a Bad way in my opinion and there's nothing redeeming about any of it.  I'd have to break out the sledgehammer and gut the whole thing if you gave me a Home from the 70's thru 90's!  *LOL*   And even most of the floor plans and Trends of Today just don't Move me in a Good way.  With the exception of Vintage Industrial Loft Style... me LOVES that!  There were entire areas I Loved but the Homes in them I just couldn't get past how underwhelmed I was with them... or had a downright aversion to how they were Designed on the Interior.   Many now had more Interesting Exteriors, often mimicking Lovely Historic Architectural Details... but then the Inside didn't match at all! Whattsup with that??!??!?!?




But I digress, back to foofing my Cabinet... I moved things in... then out again if I didn't think it looked just right...




And replaced it with something else... like the Skully swap on this shelf since I got anal about the Hue of the Skully better matching it's surroundings.  *Ha ha ha*   I actually still have the very bottom Cabinet now emptied out and void of anything because I haven't found anything I want housed there for a Display right now.   And the steady rotation of Collections in and out of this Display meant that other Furniture Displaying my Collections then expanded in the overall foof.   While housework still laid around as if it were invisible and I didn't notice it was still there.   *Smiles*   Today tho' I did start the Laundry, since the Family brought it into this very Hallway in baskets just so I wouldn't Miss it! Just how can you when it's blocking the entire Hallway, right?! *Winks*




So they'll all be on Folding Duty as each load gets done... and I suppose I couldn't procrastinate any longer or nobody would have had anything to wear?!  *Smiles*   They did however really like what I'd done with my New Cabinet and so have their Friends they have brought over... it's been a big hit with the Kiddos... Kids Love Creepy shit on Display!    Your Gramma has the Coolest Home ever I'll often overhear... no telling what their Parents actually Think and say behind my back tho'?!???!???!?!?  *Winks*  Some Neighbor kids aren't even allowed to come inside our Home, it's Hilarious!!!   *Bwahahahahahaha!!!!*




Slowly I'm unpacking my various Collections that have lain in wait to see the Light of Day again after being Stored boxed up in the Garages.  I'm still wading thru the Hoarded Garages, it's thinning out slowly but surely and most is Moving Out of Villa Boheme' and being Sold Off or Donated.   I feel pretty good about the fact that I've Culled a considerable amount on my Quest to Keep only that which is most Beloved or Used often and has Purpose.   But in the Realm of my Collections, there are of coarse the Keepers.  Those things I probably couldn't replace... at least not easily nor economically, since I got 'em when they were cheap as Hell for the having of back in da day... or sometimes given to me.  Yes, for years now when peeps have Weird shit they don't know what to do with, they will just give it to me... knowing it will find a Home here!  *LOL*  Coz... that's how we Roll... Weirdly and Wonderfully my Friends! 




*******

Blessings from the Arizona Desert... Dawn... The Bohemian



7 comments:

  1. What fun, I knew you wouldn't be able to leave those empty. So declare that spot clean, and then you did 'clean'. LOL, Funs stuff in there, Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, leaving them empty for even a day was KILLING me! *smiles* And it gave me another excuse to procrastinate on the housework, so hey... *winks* And Yes, having the Hallway looking Clean did give me a sense of accomplishment. *Ha ha ha* I did however get all my Laundry done yesterday, so I haven't been a total Slacker in the housekeeping department. Dawn... The Bohemian

      Delete
  2. You've figured out perfectly what a "Cabinet of Curiosities" is all about (IMO). Love the insect collection and the turtle/tortoise shells. I am someone who picks up sea (actually lake) glass, bird feathers, driftwood pieces, shells from the ocean when I visit there (and I love the imperfect or worn ones that everyone else passes up). . .and these are part of what makes up our decor. . .so, I love and appreciate your special collections. Even the Ouija boards, although I gave myself a serious spook with one when I was a teenager, and cannot even look at one without recounting that time. *shudder*. . .What a great cabinet you've got there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, if misused {or basically used at all} the Spirit Boards can have a very negative impact, which is why we respect that they are only for decorative purposes and separated from whatever planchette came with them. The planchettes are in high demand so I always just Sell them and it makes any Vintage Board I Collected then basically Free. I also pick up many Natural Objects, Nature Designs some of the best Collectibles IMO, one of a kind mini Masterpieces! And these cabinets keep everything from becoming dusty... dusting an Entomology Display is practically Impossible! *Smiles* Dawn... The Bohemian

      Delete
  3. Sooo happy to see you playing, in your happy place!
    You have some gorgeous stuff. I too love anything with a story and will collect old things just because I love the wornness of them. I was raised quite vanilla, so have less experience with your more exotic world.
    I'm glad you have a nice cabinet of cabinets to reduce the dusting!
    Your alcoves make me green with envy. We live in an 80s house...it has no character except the painted ceilings I have added, and the shutters on all windows, with one archway I have also painted with patterns. I also painted our bedroom as a circus tent. You might find it all a bit crazy, but we love it! Here is a link from a few years ago. It's changed around a bit as both hubby and I love moving our furniture around. But the paint jobs are still the same.
    http://naturalmedley.blogspot.com.au/2014/06/house-tour.html
    I love how your house shouts who you are. Hilarious and also sad that some people aren't comfortable with that.
    Hugs! Xo Jazzy Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Circus Tent Boudoir, I think that is Fantastic! Now be careful with the gymnastics, trapeze acts beyond a certain age can be risky! *winks* I too think folks should be comfortable with self expression in their own homes and not care what a visitor might feel about their Style and particular Aesthetic. Our homes are our personal Sanctuary and Retreat, it should be a place designed to reflect what that means to us as a Family. I'm rather glad my Parents were very exotic about how they lived, it made me far less inhibited than my contemporaries. *smiles* Dawn... The Bohemian

      Delete

  4. I fear I'd rather decorate than clean also! So glad your havin fun! It's really lookin good! I can see one of your heavy darkish tapestries hanging in a corner by your old bookcases too.

    ReplyDelete

A life touched by God always ends in touching others. - Erwin McManus

I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness for it shows me the stars. - Og Mandino (1923-1996)

For creativity to flourish one should try to look at everything as though it were being seen for the first or the last time. - Quote from "A Thousand Paths To Creativity" by David Baird

Is what I'm about to say an improvement on silence? ~ Galen Pearl