Thursday, November 17, 2016

Enlighten Me... Please



We're actually just gonna have a Keeping It Real kinda Humorous Post Today because I NEED it... I will elaborate further along in the Story as to Why I Need it... and if after reading this Post you can Enlighten me... Please... DO!  *Winks*  The Post will just have random Beautiful Images for your Pleasure that I took on a recent string of small Adventures around the City.  Sprinkled in as we discuss the Topics which have absolutely nothing to do with the Imagery, so Humor me!  And that is my Disclaimer, these Images ARE NOT about the Topic whatsoever!  *LOL*




This Story is really about things I don't Understand the Logic of... or lack thereof.  So your Enlightenment and Input would be greatly appreciated, unless of coarse it Confuses the Hell out of you too?   So here goes the random musings...  I was out and about doing some early Christmas Shopping because that's what I do... since I don't do Black Fridays or the other intensely Stressful, Crazy, Chaotic Holiday Shopping things the masses seem to revel in for reasons I cannot fathom either.   I like my Holidays to at least try to be Merry and Bright... difficult enough this year with Mom dying and all right before the Holiday Kick-Off.




I like to try to find some Unique Gifting Ideas and Decor so I don't frequent the usual Big Box Shops as a rule and prefer to Support local Small Businesses instead, particularly during the Holiday Season and this crappy Economy Thing going on in our Nation... we all could use a boost, I'm doing my part.  *Winks*   So... during this Adventure I traveled far and wide Seeking... very far, very wide, like I might not even be in these locations again for another year perhaps, so it's rare Pilgrimage Territory and a one time shot at my wallet before Christmas kinda thing!  *Ha ha ha*




 I was in this one place, wanting to buy something from a Vendor's Booth that blindsided me... when she informed me they wouldn't be Selling ANY of their Inventory until Black Friday!!!!!!??!??  Nope, won't Sell it to you Today... uh uh, non-negotiable firm decline of accepting your money Today.  Yeah, I got THAT look on my face too I'm sure, like WTF, 'coz I don't Get It from a Retail standpoint?  Well, unless you're Selling $50 Big Screen TV's that day as a Trade Stimulator and only have the three, you know, that makes more Sense?!  But this wasn't the case, this was Holiday Decor at regular price. *Winks* 




 I'm right here... right now... wanting to Buy what I would Assume you are in the Retail business to actually Sell, right... that's the Point of Retail, No?!  But you won't Sell Today and say it will be worth me coming back AGAIN in a week, clearly at your convenience and not mine.  To be inconvenienced on a crowded insane day I know I'll never be out in... to get what I could get in Peace right now while I'M HERE in this Moment in Time with the Cash and have no long waits?????   I know, Enlighten me, I don't 'Get It' and was completely Confused?  And No, it WON'T be worth coming back for, I don't Need anything that bad... ever.  In fact, I doubt I'd buy from any Vendor turning me away with no regard for a Customer's convenience or providing Service except on given days assigned.




Or perhaps is too wrapped up in Vignetting to the exclusion of realizing no matter how Pretty it looks, if it's NFS, what's the Point?  News Flash, most Consumers aren't that interested in a Vignette if they can't Buy anything from it, they don't Care.  Yes, getting ready is a lot of Work when you're prepping a Retail Space for Seasonal switches, but I don't remember ever turning away a for sure Sale so that I can Sell it MAYBE a time in the Future to someone else at exactly the same price?  I just find it a very Odd Marketing Strategy, but whatever.  




Maybe I'm completely Off on The Hype of such perceived Strategies, is it supposed to somehow make me want it MORE... because if I already want to buy it Now and am willing to slap down the Cash, I'm probably not gonna want it more if you make me wait, you know?!  *LOL*  In fact, now I'm reconsidering not wanting it or anything else at all in that location... backfires with most Customers... just sayin'.  I know for me, I went and bought something else from somebody that was actually Selling their Merchandise.  *Smiles*




And on a day when I don't hafta fight insane frenzied Holiday Shopping Crowds and stand in long lines at checkout, which is precisely why I'm an Early Shopper in the first place and proactive in my Shopping for the Holiday Experience.  But perhaps some Vendors don't cater to Customers like that, perhaps they only want the frenzied Holiday Shopper or Selective Clientele, I dunno... their prerogative but I still don't 'Get It'?   I appreciate and try to cater to ALL my Customers Needs otherwise I think Retail Sales would be a pointless endeavor that might not have good PR extended towards me... since bad news travels fast... and far.  And becomes the stuff of Insider Jokes.




But the Good News was, I always find Great Stuff, always... and if one purchase attempt doesn't work out... well, there's always someone eager to Sell something to you and make their Profit.  It's a supply and demand kinda thing... and it's competitive and fierce to get those dollars from Customers.  Not to be taken lightly actually, at least I don't... not when I'm Buying and not when I'm Selling either.   I suspect most People feel that way about their hard earned Money, they are Selective about where they spend it almost as much as, if not more than, on what they spend it on.   Bad Customer Service leaves a bad taste in the mouth of most.  Taking Pride in Customer Service is crucial IMO.  Unless you don't really Care about the Customer... can't make anyone Care, they either do or they don't and it's evident either way.




So, on to my next Topic... increased Rents when Sales are down?  Lately I'm hearing a lot of Small Business Owners especially, lamenting that Rental Lease Increased during a Down Economy have caused them to have to just close up Shop coz the margins disappear completely.  Every Landlord of coarse has to consider the overhead Cost for them and pass it along to their Tenants and thus the Customer in the long run... but at what point to everyone's detriment?




   Because at some point of paradigm shift, the scales tip to where you have Vacant Space coz the Rent is just too high and the Profits just too slim or absent for the Tenants and they bounce.  Is NO Rental Income better than keeping the Cost Reasonable and Rented out consistently?  If the Customer feels prices have had to increase too high will they even Buy or frequent such places?  Humnnnnn...  I'm seeing a lot of blighted areas that were once vibrant Shopping Experiences due to that Vacancy Rate due to Rent Increases... like Downtown Glendale's Antiques District... so Sad to see it circle the drain and such high Vacancy that the area is sure to decline steadily now.




The rents at our Antique Mall will soon be increasing again... and I've already closed down one Showroom... and frankly, this could be my tipping point of closing the other down too, I'm not Sure yet?   I like what I'm doing and Thankful I'm not having to make a Living doing it since that would be a tough row to hoe for sure... and it's helped me in my de-stash downsizing Project and interacting with like minded Kindred Spirits in the Industry.   But I'm not that Into It that I would ever wanna lose money... and if you're not making money you're losing money... and that's not my bag... losing money.  *LMAO*  Maybe some Vendors will substantiate long term losses, or even short term losses, I'm not that person.




I can Work my Hustle and make money all kinds of ways so I'm all about my margins being on point or what's the Point?  *LOL*   So I'm at a juncture of whether or not I'm Feeling my margins are adequate doing what I'm doing right now... or switching to something else where they'd be better?   I think many of us doing Our Little Thing can relate to that sentiment?   Some folks are even doing their Big Thing and I applaud them, takes guts and a whole lotta hard Work to do that Hustle.   Since Full Time Caregiving is my priority I can't even consider a Big Thing of any kind though, so I just do My Little Things as brief respite breaks from my Big Picture.




But it's a weighty decision nonetheless and of coarse my Dear Vendor and Co-Worker Friends would hate to lose me and have expressed that sentiment.  So for now anyway I'm on the fence... and I know that at the end of the day it will be Personal what I decide to do and can be subject to change without notice. *Winks*   Since my de-stashing continues and WILL continue regardless of how I choose to dispose of my Good Stuff that has to Exit New Villa Boheme' Stage Left.  I haven't been tackling it nearly as energetically as I Want or even Need to... Space is limited here and at the Showroom so it's a Process.




Kinda like the Process of switching from Season to Season and Holiday to Holiday, when I'm kinda behind the Eight Ball on that too... since I'm dragging my feet and just not Feelin' it.   I know I've still got a lot of unresolved Grief to Work thru right now so I'm giving myself room for that during this Holiday Season... for when it hits full force... which it will... it's not a matter of If, but When?   And until then I contemplate these Mysteries of the Universe and Seek Enlightenment on the random Topics.   So Enlighten me... Please... if you can? *Winks*

*******

Blessings from the Arizona Desert... Dawn... The Bohemian




13 comments:

  1. That store that would not sell to you is just silly. I would have sold it to you and then make or find something to take the place of the item you bought for the display.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is why I'd be a Loyal and Satisfied Customer at YOUR type of Shop my Friend... being considerate of the consumer is paramount in retail sales IMO. I couldn't understand the Principal behind the decision to refuse to Sell either? Thanks for weighing in... Dawn... The Bohemian

      Delete
  2. OK Dawn, I'm going to enlighten you - here goes- some people suck. Ha,ha!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, there is THAT too... you made me LOL with that assessment of it! Thanks for the hearty laugh! Dawn... The Bohemian

      Delete
  3. LOL, that is insane. What does she want, people rolling over in the aisles fighting over her stuff. I've heard of some exclusivity issues, but short of boarding or draping up a booth--if it out in the open, if the doors are open, it's for sale. Stupid Vendor....sing it loud and clear, and let her deal with the consequence. God, help her she sells to someone else, now.

    Dumbest thing I have ever heard,Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am in complete agreement with your assessment... I know that in Antique Malls they tend to be open all the time without after hours for the Vendors to foof their booths and doing so around customers shopping can be challenging... but it's part of doing business... almost every Store stocks inventory while customers are shopping. I don't think I've ever been in any highly successful big business in fact that was stocking Inventory and they said nothing in that aisle was for Sale because they were re-stocking or changing out the Inventory Seasonally! *LOL* Hell, most go out of their way to assist you since the bottom line is reliant upon Sales, not what is still sitting on the shelves unsold! I do agree that if the Shop is Open for Business the draping solution so Customers cannot see the Inventory yet is probably the wisest Idea if you want a later Reveal for a Special Day... rather than turning people away, which is never a good strategy and IMO is bad business. Thanks for weighing in on the Topic... Dawn... The Bohemian

      Delete
    2. BTW: the visual of wanting people rolling over in the aisles fighting over the stuff was HILARIOUS and totally absurd if that is indeed the intent behind this 'logic'?! LMAO Dawn... The Bohemian

      Delete
  4. I don't get it personally ... but I used to work for someone that had a hard time selling things she really liked too. And people would get so discouraged (and pissed off!) to see the NFS tag on something they wanted. Taught me a valuable lesson tho - no matter how good it looks in the display, if it isn't for sale, it doesn't go in. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree... and having Display pieces NFS that serve Purpose like Mannequin Heads for Vintage Hats, a particularly Beautiful Vintage Tree to hang Vintage Ornaments that are for Sale on and racks for Magazines, etc. makes perfect sense to me... but having NOTHING for Sale in a Retail Space that is Open for Business and on Display, that just wasn't something I could wrap my head around? Why deliberately inconvenience Customers and not be considerate of their time being there right then and there? Mystery to me still... Thanks for weighing in Dawn... The Bohemian

      Delete
  5. hat is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of! Why is she even open, just close until the chaos starts! I would never buy from that person again! Crazy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I wouldn't even buy from them the first time. *Smiles* I like to Feel Valued as a Customer and not 'baited' like a Fish and being tormented by product in a Store Open for business, but which you cannot buy???!?!? Shaking my head... bad business IMO. Dawn... The Bohemian

      Delete

A life touched by God always ends in touching others. - Erwin McManus

I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness for it shows me the stars. - Og Mandino (1923-1996)

For creativity to flourish one should try to look at everything as though it were being seen for the first or the last time. - Quote from "A Thousand Paths To Creativity" by David Baird

Is what I'm about to say an improvement on silence? ~ Galen Pearl