Sunday, May 29, 2016

Places That No Longer Are



As I've been forced to lay around the house Healing at a snail's pace from the surgical complication, I've had a lot of time to just Think random thoughts. Contemplating the reality that I am definitely going to have a very large knarly concave scar from the ordeal, even after it finally starts to Heal, will be a forever reminder of something that didn't go so well.  I've had plenty of time to distract myself thinking about other things that clearly didn't go so well because they no longer exist.  I'm talking about places that no longer are.  Forever reminders of many of those places are tucked away in my photo archives and bring them fondly to remembrance.




I do Miss so many of those places because it isn't always because something wasn't Wonderful or Ideal that it just ceases to be one day.   I can't begin to tell you the number of Favorite and Awesome Businesses that no longer are and yet were some of the best places around and Beloved by many.   And so it got me to thinking about why some things can be mediocre or even marginal yet seem to abide and go on, even have wild success... while others that were completely Awesome no longer are?   It's one of those Mysteries... like why you can find a McDonalds almost anywhere thriving with what passes as food... while restaurants with the most Amazing real cuisine and ambiance have to close down even if they had great prices as well as great food!?

  


I've come to the conclusion that perhaps it has more to do with the familiar and mass exposure than anything else.   If everyone knows and is familiar with something, even if it's not that Special really, or even that good actually, it can still thrive by the sheer numbers on their side.  Pretty much everyone has walked into the well known chains of just about anything at one point in time... few might have ever stopped to even go inside a place they don't know... or perhaps even notice it?   And even those that do develop a large enough following to last will typically be owned by a small business owner that cannot really be easily replaced by any anonymous person like at the chains.




But what about the anomaly I see so often in Malls with individual Vendors renting space.   Where some of the most Awesome Vendors with the most Amazing Inventory aren't always the ones that thrive, sometimes the crap hawkers fare best and will seem to be the ones with less turnover!   Yes, it is a complete Mystery to me, but then again, we're back to mass marketing and what appeals to the masses most.  Or what is more readily available to the majority and at the lowest cost.   Simple supply and demand dictates any market.




 Crap Sells... Quality merchandise on the other hand has to be Appreciated for what it is... and can the average consumer even recognize the difference, afford it or care?  Knock-Offs and unlicensed product is a prime example of what often beats out the Real Deal, simply because of price point.   I'd rather have the Real Deal... but I have been guilty at times of accepting less than that out of convenience or budget constraints.   Do I usually Keep what I've Settled with as second best?  No, hardly ever, I eventually Trade Up to replace it with Real Deal first choice pieces.




And that's not even to say that everything Awesome has to cost a lot... it doesn't... there are Deals to be had if you're willing or able to Hunt for them.  I personally get the greatest Thrill from the Hunt, but many people do not... they want it and they'd prefer it now and most conveniently please.  They may not even know about the most Awesome places that would have it, if it's not familiar or doesn't come with a personal recommendation.   This is part of why I Blog about the most Awesome places I know of, so that they don't become even more of those places that no longer are!  Heaven Forbid!   The List is too long already of those we've Lost over Time!!!




And I understand that some Torches just cannot be passed... and so that place will simply cease to be when the Owner calls it a day for whatever the reason or they feel the Season is over for it.   It doesn't lessen the sting of the void of it ceasing to Be though to all of those who Loved it, became regulars and hoped the reign would never end.   I kinda feel that way about our Old Homestead in fact, if after we are no longer the owners it ceases to be, there are many who have conveyed they will Miss it terribly because it is one of a kind and there will never be another like it.   So many Small Businesses are like that... one of a kind... not mass produced... unique... and thus irreplaceable once they no longer are.




I would imagine a whole lotta tears are shed when something has to be let go of that will no longer be, even if it's Time for it to cease to exist.   I recently reminisced with a long time Valley Resident, who joined me on a trip down Memory Lane, of the Nostalgic Local places and things that no longer are and we both Remembered.   Wow... some of them I hadn't thought of in years... some he hadn't either... and others we think about more often and Wish they still were.   One day there might no longer be anyone who recalls them... when the Memory becomes too many Generations removed to be given any thought or hold any Nostalgia.




Some places will have to relocate, so they still exist, but somewhere else.  Some will evolve in such a way that you don't recognize them anymore, but the evolution was necessary to stay relevant and prosperous I suppose.  And some will simply change Ownership and therefore Evolve with the new Vision the new Owners have for it.  I was saddened to see that our Favorite Tea Room is now a place that no longer exists as it once was and it was so unexpected!   New Ownership, and though Nice, just not the same... we mutually grieved over losing that Special Spot we'd frequented for so long and gotten our Tea Samples for our Mad Tea Parties from.    Not that we'll cease to have Mad Tea Parties mind you!  *Smiles*




Some things will never change in our World simply because we Control it and can maintain the Tradition or Ritual of it for however long we want or need to.   Often the places that no longer are close down or change hands so suddenly and unexpectedly that it catches you completely off guard!   One such Favorite Chinese Restaurant we've frequented for about forty years met such a fate!  Had I known it was changing Owners I might have bought an extra order of that Special Item on the Menu that I'll now no longer be able to get... not like that anyway, since everyone has their own Special recipes for similar dishes.  I would have savored it all the more... you know, like that Family Recipe Gramma used to make and now Gramma is gone and nobody can make it quite like her!


  

No... I shall never be able to have Tea at Chakra 4 again... or Mongolian Beef at Bo Bo China... my Tiramasu at Tucchettis... get my Incense from Jutenhoops... my Architectural Salvage and Specialty Candles from Sage... buy my Fav Designer Wardrobe from Frilly Frocks... take my Grandchildren to an Amusement Park called Legend City... buy them a little inexpensive somethin'-somethin' from Woolworths... or listen to my Favorite Music on a host of now defunct Radio Stations. They are just a tiny sampling of those that no longer are... and I'm sure you have a laundry list of some that no longer are in your area too?   Celebrating a Nostalgic fond Remembrance of what was and alas, is no more.  But we're Glad for the Time we had with them.

*******

Blessings from the Arizona Desert... Dawn... The Bohemian 


12 comments:

  1. Right! And hopefully there will some new special neat places come about to help fill the void!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well let us hope so Marlynne... granted some new places do open and are awesome, but what I've found is that so many don't make it and it's tragic because they did everything apparently right... but in the present economic climate, it just isn't working out for some of the better vendors and venues anymore... Dawn... The Bohemian

      Delete
  2. You hit the nail on the head Dawn. After just getting back in the business, to sell off the remaining antiques I used to sell, I have come to see that it is the crap that sells. And I am talking garage sale crap too. Recession? And I refuse to give it away. air has been an eye opener. Hope it comes back in vogue before I go. I still see Beanie Babies which I guess was the beginning of the fall. Yes, I think the younger generation no longer wants to take over the business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You crack me up but it is tragic... what I see flying out the doors is the crap you would normally see being hawked at yard sales or swap meets... and not the good ones... I like a GOOD Flea Market, but I'm talking Park N Swap stuff other people wouldn't want anymore and what I'd just donate to a Charity Shop! I'm dismayed and refuse to carry garbage just because it will easily sell and can be had cheap. If I could I'd prefer to do Events and Shows... at least those I go to are the quality and aesthetic that draws the clientele I'd feel would appreciate the Good Stuff! Sad face, but it is what it is... Dawn... The Bohemian

      Delete
  3. l absolutely know what you mean Dawn...no-one will ever make scones like my mum and no-one will ever replace Tim Wonacott on Bargain Hunt:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, a good scone is hard to come by isn't it! *winks* My Mom makes the best Welsh Pancakes, crepe style with fresh squeezed Lemon Juice and Sugar... Nom Nom! Sadly I'll never have them again as she is now in Hospice and barely hanging on now and none of us ever learned to make them quite like hers. Dawn... The Bohemian

      Delete
  4. ahhh===how true Dawn. When I opened my Artist/Craftsmen, Garden, Vintage shop in 2000 my sources were 27 American companies or artists/craftsmen as well as my self. When I closed in 2011 I had 3 sources left (not counting the MANY more that had fallen to the wayside) ...and my candle company had just folded. I chose to close---rather than go the other way.

    The products that I had been replacing my original sources with was inferio/cheaper and well just wasn't the ambiance I was going for.

    So stick to your guns...and make it so---thanks for your gorgeous photographers and unique perspective on what we surround ourselves with. Grins and healing thoughts, Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandi for sharing your story, I know it's an all too familiar one resonating on the way things are going... but I am trying to maintain integrity, or when it is no longer profitable to, will have to call it a day too I suppose. Dawn... The Bohemian

      Delete
  5. Hoping your healing continues. Seems slow when you're in the middle of it; fast when you look back and really think what the body's been through...And re. places that no longer are, is this what getting old means? I SO identify with your laments here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, I know but it sure beats the alternative huh? *Winks* It is always hard to agree to any procedure knowing that my Healing ability isn't what it used to be and given that anymore one cannot always Trust that the Care given will be competent enough either. Slowly, slowly trying to Heal from this recent medical fiasco... but it has set me back considerably and that is so frustrating because I don't have time for this infirmity thing! LOL Dawn... The Bohemian

      Delete
  6. There is a hardware store in Clayton, NM that you would absolutely love. It is about 100 years old and still open for business! Most of the original, dusty fixtures (and inventory) remain intact. Paradise for a nostalgic, old photographer like me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how Wonderful, I Live for stumbling upon such Retail Treasures as the few like that which remain, bastions of a bygone Era... and I bet the Service and Staff are as Special as the Inventory they carry! Dawn... The Bohemian

      Delete

A life touched by God always ends in touching others. - Erwin McManus

I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness for it shows me the stars. - Og Mandino (1923-1996)

For creativity to flourish one should try to look at everything as though it were being seen for the first or the last time. - Quote from "A Thousand Paths To Creativity" by David Baird

Is what I'm about to say an improvement on silence? ~ Galen Pearl