Saturday, March 29, 2014

It's Twins... A Girl And a Mystery Baby



This Morning Miss Priss had her Kittens... Twins... a Tortoiseshell Girl who resembles Mama Cat and a totally Black Mystery Baby whose Gender is as of yet unknown since Black Cats can be Boys or Girls... and Tortoiseshell and Calico to the best of my limited Cat Knowledge are exclusively Female.   Since Miss Priss Adores the Family... and especially Children... I risked putting her Sleeping Box on the front Porch near the Door and their Food and Water dishes... hoping that wouldn't Freak her out as a New Parent and she wouldn't hide the Kittens all over our Acre and have them grow up Feral?
 
 



Well, apparently she was Golden with the Arrangement because that's where she chose to have them and is happily showing them off and Nursing them in her box for now... she even went to every window in the Main House yowling for The Man to come out when she was in Labor... since I was taking the G-Force to School when the Blessed Event happened.
 
 



I Confess I had been Nervous about keeping her at all when she showed up Preggy and decided to Adopt us... and even moreso after the Loss of our Beloved Yul.  All of our Female Cats have always been spayed you see, so we've never received a litter before and I would have preferred to get her spayed right away if she was joining the Family.  I've never been a Cat Gramma before!  But since she was already Preggy, I wasn't going to take any little lives even tho' a litter of Kittens was the last thing I wanted around here!  *Le Sigh*  And she wasn't going anywhere in the Cat Carrier... not to the Humane Society... not to get 'fixed'... so we'll have to work on that 'Issue' after her Kittens get big enough that she can go visit the Vet and ensure no more babies!  I was Grateful her litter was small because she'd gotten as big as a house, so I was scared she was having a virtual Kitten Tribe!!!???  *LOL*   I don't know how the Bohemian Cat Boys will receive the New Additions... for now they're staying clear... Morris is so Old he's Grand-Daddy Cat rather than Cat Daddy Material... and Rusty is Timid and Shy of every other animal so he won't wanna be Babies Daddy.  *LOL*
 
 


And for now I'm convincing the G-Kid Force that NO, we're NOT keeping any of them once they get old enough to be Adopted to Good Homes!  *LOL*   Yeah, I know, we're such Suckas... but a Trio of Fur Babies here at Bohemian Valhalla is still more than enough Working Cats to take care of any vermin that gets onto our Acreage... but New Birth and Spring do kinda go together as the Promise that each New Season holds Hope and New Beginnings... so her timing was fitting.
 
Blessings from the Arizona Desert... Dawn... The Bohemian Cat Gramma

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the new family members with us! You'll weaken!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's the thing...she WILL move the kittens. Be ready. They normally don't do it immediately. That being said, they will not become feral as long as you are the one who feeds them when they are weaned. By hand at first. Always make certain they look you in the eye when you feed them. Feral cats do not make eye contact.
    Please let me know if I can help.
    I love you for doing this!

    xo

    Andie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andie for the info. Now I know why it's so difficult for our Beloved Rusty to make eye contact and still be so shy and skittish even after all these years! He came to us as a feral kitten and with much handling, patience and Love he isn't Wild anymore but he isn't exactly Pet Quality either... he's tolerant of handling and of people but he's not very social and when you make eye contact he gets scared even now... at least now I understand.

      Delete
    2. Strange how Strays behave so differently than Ferals tho'... Morris, Yul, Miss Priss and many others that Adopted us over the years were Strays, no telling how long they had been abandoned by Humans or had been Pets or just led a Nomadic Lifestyle but around People... and yet, with a Stray, when they decide to settle down with a Family they become Pet Quality so easily!

      Delete
  3. Your Mother cat is so pretty! So kind of you to take her in. I bet her kittens are adorable too. Be careful as cats can get pregnant again VERY quickly after giving birth. We carried a feral to the vet by putting her kittens in a big cage and she followed them in then we had her. Once they are neutered they calm down quickly. I'm sure all of your kindness will win her over, I hope she stays. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dawn, Thank you for your sweet comment on our last post, much appreciated! I had not known about you losing Yul, my heart goes out to you. They are such a joy to have in our lives that their loss is keenly felt. Hugs to you. x

      Delete
    2. I was already thinking of putting her kittens in a Pet Carrier when they're a bit older and using that as a tactic to lure her in so I can get her down for spaying!

      Delete
  4. There is nothing cuter than kittens. The feral momma who lives in our woods, has brought her brood to us for the past two years. We have caught them all and had them fixed. Unfortunately, momma is still on the prowl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! But...where are pictures of the little ones?
    I took in a pregnant cat 10 years ago and she had her 5 kittens on my kitchen floor. I found homes for all of the babies after a few months, but I kept her and she is still my furry baby :)

    You're right about the coloring of cats. As a rule boy cats can't have more than 2 colors. So if you compare the distance between pee hole and poo hole in the two babies you might figure out their gender. If they look the same they're probably both girls, if there's more space in between in the black baby that one is probably a boy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss Priss is very Camera Shy herself... so I'm waiting until trying to take pixs of her Beautiful Babies won't totally freak her out!? She's very accepting of us being around them so I don't wanna wreck that Trust with my exhuberance to capture her litter thru the Eye of my Lens. I'm thinking the Black one is a Baby Boy, his parts are so teeny right now its difficult to guage tho'. *LOL* However, that said, he's already gotten placement when the time is right, with a Good Family, since a Friend wants him for her Daughter when he's ready to be Adopted... yippee, one down, one to go... I put it out there that they would be needing good Homes early so that I'd have ample time for the best placement when they're weaned and ready to leave us. Dawn... The Bohemian

      Delete

A life touched by God always ends in touching others. - Erwin McManus

I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness for it shows me the stars. - Og Mandino (1923-1996)

For creativity to flourish one should try to look at everything as though it were being seen for the first or the last time. - Quote from "A Thousand Paths To Creativity" by David Baird

Is what I'm about to say an improvement on silence? ~ Galen Pearl