Friday, September 10, 2010

To Love And Be Loved Is The Greatest Joy On Earth


Sometimes you discover a Found Treasure with just the right Message... such was the case when I found this small Sampler while on a Junquing forray this week. Obviously someone had taken their considerable time and talents to create such a lovely work of cross-stitch Art with a beautiful Message that is oh so true... and it made me wonder... why was it discarded and never really "finished"? It isn't framed nor does it look like it ever was incorporated into a finished project and certainly it is a labor of Love meticulously crafted and should have been so properly appreciated and cherished. Was it made for someone special? Was it given as a Gift? Was it made just for the simple Joy of creating a lovely piece of Folk Art? It saddened me in a way to read the Message and know that someone obviously felt so strongly about that statement to memorialize it in their Artwork and then, for whatever reason, have it discarded... either by themselves or by someone else who was the recipient of their work. I believe that a labor intensive work of Art, such as a cross-stitched piece like this, is done with much Love and was very likely a Joy to create and a testimony of the Message it states. And I wonder... were THEY Loved... and by whom? Was there a lost Love and therefore the piece became too painful a reminder to hold onto? I always wonder about the History and stories behind all the Lovelies I acquire... especially those special pieces that I just find hard to believe that anyone parted with or discarded.

I'm delighted to have found such a beautiful and special piece for a song, knowing it is worth far more than I paid for it and wanting to give it the proper attention and respect it deserves... as I will one day incorporate it into one of my pieces of wearable Art... perhaps as a delightful Bohemian Carpet Bag centerpiece or the front of a Bohemian Art throw Pillow. I may never know who made it and they will never know where it ended up... but I do so appreciate and am grateful to and for those unknown Artists who use their considerable time and talents to Grace this World with such lovely pieces that impart timeless Messages and bring forth Beauty for others to enjoy... planting seeds of delight for others to harvest... Dawn... The Bohemian

9 comments:

  1. Hi, there - I made the "To love and be loved is the greatest joy on earth" cross stitch for my friend Becky Windmiller, when we were in high school in Staten Island, NY. It was around 1979. Becky was moving away because her father (an army chaplain) was being transferred. This photo brought back a lovely memory, and I would really love to find this cross stitch kit again, so I can make one for myself. Sending love, Ida.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found this same cross stitch in an old frame at an estate warehouse sale and I too have wondered it's history, I have since reframed it and hung it above my bed. Such a unique treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found this same cross stitch in an old frame at an estate warehouse sale and I too have wondered it's history, I have since reframed it and hung it above my bed. Such a unique treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cross stitched this very piece back in the 70's when I was engaged to be married. My husband and I will be married 37 years in June and the sentiment is as true now as it was then! It is hung in our guest bedroom and I just hope when my time comes that my children or grandchildren will cherish it and have known that special kind of love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  6. This is a bit of a sad story .... I cross-stitched this exact pattern in the late 70's. My mother purchased the kit, but never began it. She passed away before she could. She was only 38. I was 14. When I was 15, I began working on it slowly, not finishing it until I was 18 years old. After I finished, I put it into a bag and brought it with me to work in order to drop it off at the dry cleaners (I did't know that I could wash it at home). Sadly, I left it on the subway. I went to lost and found, but nobody ever returned it. I cried for days, but mourned the loss for much longer. This piece had so much meaning for me. I was truly devasted. Today, I decided to Google the "saying" and I found your website. I wonder ... is that the picture that I created ... the cross-stitch picture that my mother purchased ... that I worked on and sadly lost. I suppose that we will never know. Yet, my heart is pounding. Even though this happened so many years ago, my stomach is in a knot seeing this. If this is in fact my creation, know that it was created with love and each stitch was truly meaningful ... by the hands of a child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Though my Post is over 2 years old now I may still have this Lovely piece in my Fabric Stash waiting for just the right Time... I'm not certain until I search my Vintage Fabric Hoard and see if it is still in my possession. If I do locate it Sparrow it would be a thrill to Gift it to you because your Story is so touching and heartfelt, even if it is not the piece you Created, the Sentiment and Memories of Creating the identical piece of Art would be much more meaningful to you than it could ever be to anyone that would simply be Admiring it for the Lovely work of Art that it is. I'll let you know if it does turn up and regardless, Thank You for Sharing this deeply Personal Story that Touched my Heart... Dawn... The Bohemian

      Delete
    2. Thank you Dawn. Oh dear ... I can't even see what I am typing because I have tears rolling down my face. It is doubtful that it is my work though. I'm located in Toronto and it looks like you are very far away. Then again, who knows what may have happened to my project as time went by. Anyway, thanks for your generous offer. If you can't find it, then it wasn't meant to be. I firmly believe that that's how life is. I also truly believe that whoever found this piece on the subway thought that "it was meant to be" that they found it and that's why they didn't return it to "lost and found". Thank you so much for looking to see if you still have it. If it is gone, then I know that whoever has it now, is someone who will cherish it and I hope that they have love in their life .... Little Sparrow (Jenny)

      Delete

A life touched by God always ends in touching others. - Erwin McManus

I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness for it shows me the stars. - Og Mandino (1923-1996)

For creativity to flourish one should try to look at everything as though it were being seen for the first or the last time. - Quote from "A Thousand Paths To Creativity" by David Baird

Is what I'm about to say an improvement on silence? ~ Galen Pearl